" Tim has helped sharpen many of my scripts by pinpointing what needs work and providing specific fixes for the rewrite. He has the gift of finding the emotional essence of a story even if it is hidden under pages of first draft bloat. Highly recommend."
- Shawn Boxe - Writer, Silicon Valley (HBO)
We offer comprehensive script consulting services with LRLA Founder and highly respected script coach, Tim Schildberger.
Tim is an expat Australian with over twenty years experience in Los Angeles, and thirty years writing. He created/wrote a comedy series for US TV, was a writer on the long-running Australian TV series 'Neighbours', and had a leading production role on the feature film 'Borat'. Tim's had feature scripts optioned, and win/place highly in all the prestigious competitions. He's a former journalist, newspaper columnist and radio commentator. He continues to write, and yes, he still talks with an Aussie accent...mate.
A Message from Tim:
If you've completed a script - congratulations! Finishing a creative project requires discipline, commitment and passion - and it's an achievement to be celebrated. I never forget that.
Writing is hard. It requires long hours, relentless practice, a lot of re-writing, and constant battles with your imagination, insecurities and sense of self. It can feel very solitary. But in reality - all successful writers have help. Feedback is an essential, and inevitable part of this process. If you genuinely have dreams of being paid to write creatively - you have to take what you do seriously - which means showing your work to others, and receiving their opinions/suggestions/feedback. That doesn't mean agreeing. But you will not succeed in isolation, and getting comfortable with this uncomfortable step is crucial.
My focus is on emotional connection, and characters. The greatest story will fail if there aren't characters the reader/audience can care about, relate to, or at least have feelings for. I help with all the technical stuff - but my real strength is helping you dig deeper. Look at it this way - millions of teenage girls did not go to see 'Titanic' over and over because it was a really cool movie about a boat sinking. They connected with Jack and Rose. I promise if you think about your favorite movie - it's the people in it, and their journey that you connect with on whatever level. I'll help you find those people in your story, and share their journey in ways that will make your audience feel something. Which if you think about it, is why we watch anything.
Good luck on your writing journey. I wish you all the best. I look forward to helping in any way I can. And if you want to learn about Australian Rules Football...I'm here anytime.
If you would like Tim’s help with your project, you have some options:
The First 10 Pages:
Making sure your script stands out among the pile any rep, producer or contest judge has on their desk is crucial. The way you introduce characters, leap into story, and build your world is far more important than most writers realize. Tim can help by focusing entirely on launching your story, and making sure every detail serves a specific purpose.
- Notes only (Tim reads your first 10, and delivers up to a page of written feedback) $ 90
- Notes/Meeting (Tim reads, delivers written feedback and schedules a 30 min call/coffee to discuss) $135
- Tim reads your entire project, and schedules a 30 minute call/skype/coffee to discuss your project, and answer questions, OR delivers up to a page of written feedback. (We suggest the phone call/meeting - it's of greater value)
- TV Pilot - 30 min $140
- TV Pilot - 60 min $190
- Feature Screenplay (max 120 pages) $290
- Feature Screenplay over 120 pages $3 per additional page
- Tim reads your entire project, and delivers comprehensive general written feedback regarding structure, characters, dialogue, scene description and the all important 'emotional connection'.
- Tim schedules a 30 minute call/skype/coffee meeting to discuss your project, answer questions, and provide some assistance to help you move in a direction you feel good about - creatively and structurally.
- TV Pilot - 30 min $190
- TV Pilot - 60 min $240
- Feature Screenplay (max 120 pages) $340
- Feature screenplays over 120 pages $3 per additional page
- Everything mentioned above - only it's a one hour call/skype/coffee in person (if you live in LA)
- TV Pilot - 30 min $240
- TV Pilot - 60 min $290
- Feature Screenplay (max 120 pages) $390
- Feature Screenplay over 120 pages $3 per additional page
If you need help turning an idea into a script, fixing a difficult second act, don't have a full project to be reviewed, or just want to chat about why we do what we do:
- Hourly Option $95 per hour (minimum of one hour)
LiveRead/LA WINNERS get a 20% discount on all options for 2 months (while they are reigning champions).
For more info or to schedule Tim's help click here
- Lloyd Gilyard Jr. - Writer, The Good Doctor (ABC)
Literally some of the best feedback I've received over the course of about a dozen screenplays.
“In LA, I met with Tim for an hour feedback on my feature film script and since then, I have requested help via email since I’m now back in Australia. Helpful is an understatement. He really took the time to explain to me his thoughts, and how I can adjust or fix issues within my script. I really appreciated how open he was when we had different opinions on something. He’s open to compromising and is so respectful of a writers hard work, however when he thinks that something crucial needs to be changed, he will give you specific examples and reasons as to why. This helped my script, and myself as a writer. His positive reinforcement also helped me move forward confidently. He is intuitive, talented and a respectful script writing mentor.
"My screenplay has been a finalist in several competitions, but hasn't broken through. I placed my script in good hands for feedback. Tim's positive comments concurred with the good things others had noticed. More important, he provided logical explanations of the weaknesses, and constructive directions for revisions. I feel confident now about polishing the screenplay to take it to the next level."
- Bear Kosik
" Tim has one of the best story senses of anyone I know. He can always be counted on to locate whatever problem exists in a script and then, make a great suggestion on how to fix it. He has a no-nonsense, analytical understanding of story and character, which is very rare. Everything I write, I always run by him." - Gregg Ostrin - Screenwriter, TV writer, Playwright